Safe in the Internet – Remove Malware
Botnets are a network of computers which become interconnected after they have been infected with a malicious payload. If your computer is part of a botnet, then you won’t even notice that it reacts to remotely controlled commands from cyber criminals and, for example, sends spam or infects other computers when you are online.
Botnets function as a basic infrastructure for Internet crime, and are one of the largest illegal sources of income in the Internet. With the Anti-Botnet Advisory Centre we would like to significantly reduce the number of botnet infected computers and so remove the foundation for cyber criminals. Every individual computer that is freed from infection helps achieve this.
To prevent the re-infection of your computer please note these important rules:
- Check your computer for infection. Please use our EU-Cleaner to remove all malware.
- Install current Service Packs and Security Updates for your system. Activate automatic updates. Microsoft Instructions: Protect.
- Check your Internet browser and the embedded plugins (e.g. Java, Flash, Shockwave, Quicktime) regularly to make sure they are up to date. Browser- and Plugincheck
- Install a virus scanner, e.g. one that is mentioned here and update it regularly.
- Use a firewall e.g. built-in Windows firewall or a router. More Information about Firewalls..